Whether you’ve just started taking your health and fitness journey more seriously or you’ve been working out and eating right for decades – there’s always something new to learn and explore in the health and wellness industry. As technology and science continue to improve, some of the old “best practices” are no longer relevant – and some are simply incorrect.
On today’s episode, I’m discussing two of the top seven nutrition facts I no longer believe regarding pre-workout supplements and carbohydrate-restricted diets. I share my experience with pre-workout supplements, the research behind some of the most popular supplements, and what I currently use as part of my pre-workout supplement routine to maximize my performance. I also discuss why some diets that restrict carbohydrates – such as the ketogenic diet – may work for some individuals but not work for others as well as why we should not consider older health and nutrition research studies as invalid or less important than newer research.
[Tweet “Just because a study was published in 2006 doesn’t make it any less valid than a study that was published in 2018.”]
This week on the Dr. Mike Show:
- The validity and importance of outdated research.
- My experience with pre-workout supplements.
- What research shows about taking Citrulline Malate to increase workout performance.
- Supplements I currently use to improve my workout performance.
- The pros and cons of Beta-Alanine.
- My current views on carbohydrate restrictions.
- Can you gain weight with the ketogenic diet?
- Why some diets work for some people, but not for others.
Resources and Links Mentioned in the Show:
- Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution by Dr. Robert Atkins
- The Zone Diet book by Barry Sears
- The Anabolic Diet book by Mauro G Di Pasquale
- Underground Bodyopus: Militant Weight Loss & Recomposition book by Dan Duchaine
- Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion: The DIETFITS Randomized Clinical Trial
- Fasting for Weight Lossby Dr. Mike Roussell
- Can Fasting Fast-Track Your Fat Loss?Men’s Health article by Dr. Mike Roussell
- Ask The Macro Manager: Super-Low Carb or Intermittent Fasting?BodyBuilding article by Dr. Mike Roussell
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Neuro Coffee
Neuro Coffee is a high octane brain supplement infused into great coffee.
It contains a patented extract from the coffee fruit, which has been clinically shown to increase levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) after taking. BDNF acts to grow and repair neurons in the brain and the body. As we age, BDNF decreases. Age related diseases of the brain (e.g. age related memory loss) are often associated with low levels of BDNF. Aging in general, stress, and lack of sleep also negatively impact BDNF.
Coffee drinkers never miss their morning cup of coffee, and now with Neuro Coffee you can enjoy that morning ritual even more knowing that it is helping your brain health. Neuro Coffee is roasted in small batches. Click here to start getting your monthly supply of Neuro Coffee. Dr. Mike Show listeners can use the coupon code DRMIKE10 to save 10% on their first order.
Thank you for listening! Please rate and review on iTunes. Post any questions or comments below. We love to hear your feedback!!
You can also listen on:
Thanks for tuning into the Dr. Mike Show! If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to iTunes to leave us a rate and review. Subscribe to the show so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes on social media.
Be sure grab your copy of Men’s Health The MetaShred Diet: Your 29-Day Rapid Fat-Loss Plan. Simple. Effective. Amazing.book, visit our websitefor even more tips and strategies to quickly and effectively lose weight while optimizing your health, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!