In part 1 of this series, I discussed how my views changed regarding pre-workouts and low-carb diets. I shared the importance of looking back on “old” studies and why I’m not quick to discard research just because something newer came along. I also described some of the supplements I currently take every day and explained why some diets don’t work.
On today’s episode, I’m discussing the remaining nutrition facts I no longer believe. I explain the concept of proteins and what makes BCAAs different. I share my thoughts on the “No calorie” label on foods and why it’s not actually calorie-free and discuss post-exercise carbs and my perspective on the post-exercise window. I discuss the importance of sleep and why it can often be the most vital part of improving your fitness and review the facts around steady state cardio and how it relates to High-Intensity Interval Training. I also elaborate on the science around fasting for weight loss and why it’s not ideal.
“You can eat in a variety of ways, but you can’t ignore your biology.” – Dr. Mike Roussell
This week on the Dr. Mike Show:
- Where we’ve gone wrong with BCAAs
- Why “no calorie foods” are not actually calorie-free
- My varying relationship with post-exercise carbohydrates.
- The post-workout window and why it’s not true.
- Why sleep can be just as important, if not more, than exercise.
- An ideal way to know when you need to sleep.
- Steady state cardio and why you should not avoid it.
- Is fasting really the best way to lose weight?
- Fasting for Weight Loss by Dr. Mike Roussell
- Can Fasting Fast-Track Your Fat Loss? Men’s Health article by Dr. Mike Roussell
- Ask The Macro Manager: Super-Low Carb or Intermittent Fasting? BodyBuilding article by Dr. Mike Roussell
- Sleep extension is a feasible lifestyle intervention in free-living adults who are habitually short sleepers: a potential strategy for decreasing intake of free sugars? A randomized controlled pilot study
- Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon
- ALL GAIN, NO PAIN by Bill Hartman
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Neuro Coffee
Neuro Coffee is a high octane brain supplement infused into great coffee.
It contains a patented extract from the coffee fruit, which has been clinically shown to increase levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) after taking. BDNF acts to grow and repair neurons in the brain and the body. As we age, BDNF decreases. Age related diseases of the brain (e.g. age related memory loss) are often associated with low levels of BDNF. Aging in general, stress, and lack of sleep also negatively impact BDNF.
Coffee drinkers never miss their morning cup of coffee, and now with Neuro Coffee you can enjoy that morning ritual even more knowing that it is helping your brain health. Neuro Coffee is roasted in small batches. Click here to start getting your monthly supply of Neuro Coffee. Dr. Mike Show listeners can use the coupon code DRMIKE10 to save 10% on their first order.
Love the show? Let us know!
Thanks for tuning into the Dr. Mike Show! If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to iTunes to leave us a rate and review. Subscribe to the show so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes on social media.
Be sure grab your copy of Men’s Health The MetaShred Diet: Your 29-Day Rapid Fat-Loss Plan. Simple. Effective. Amazing. book, join the LeanOS fitness coaching program, or visit our website for even more tips and strategies to quickly and effectively lose weight while optimizing your health, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
[iframe style=”border:none” src=”//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/7028432/height/100/width/480/thumbnail/no/render-playlist/no/theme/legacy/tdest_id/793617″ height=”100″ width=”480″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Check out this episode!