Welcome to Episode 4 of the Dr. Mike Show. In this episode we are joined by Men’s Health Fitness Advisor and physical therapist, Bill Hartman P.T., C.S.C.S. This past year, I helped Bill lose 37lbs leading up to his 50th birthday. We discuss things he learned from his transformation and how he has been able to keep the weight off.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- How transforming your body leads into other areas of your life
- How meditation helps fight food cravings
- How Bill ended up losing 37 pounds when he thought he only needed to lose 20 pounds
- Creating post-weight loss goals that guarantee you never lose your abs
- The one thing you should stop doing – related to your health and fitness
You can also listen on:
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Neuro Coffee (TM)
Neuro Coffee (TM) is a high octane brain supplement infused into great coffee. It contains a patented extract from the coffee fruit, which has been clinically shown to increase levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) after taking. BDNF acts to grow and repair neurons in the brain and the body. As we age, BDNF decreases. Age related diseases of the brain (e.g. age related memory loss) are often associated with low levels of BDNF. Aging in general, stress, and lack of sleep also negatively impact BDNF.
Coffee drinkers never miss their morning cup of coffee, and now with Neuro Coffee (TM) you can enjoy that morning ritual even more knowing that it is helping your brain health. Neuro Coffee (TM) is roasted in small batches. Click here to start getting your monthly supply of Neuro Coffee. Dr. Mike Show listeners can use the coupon code DRMIKE10 to save 10% on their first order.
EPISODE 004 – LINKS FROM THE SHOW:
- Neuro Coffee – coupon code: DRMIKE10
- The Metashred Diet (Dr. Mike Roussell)
- Book – Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain (John J. Ratey and Eric Hagerman)
- IFAST: Indianapolis Fitness and Sports Training
- Book – Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long (David Rock)
- Meditation App – Headspace
- IFAST University
EPISODE 004 – SHOW NOTES:
- 00:00 – Welcome to the show / Dr. Mike and Chris Dominello say hello / Special guest Bill Hartman is introduced
- 00:15 – Topics of the day are introduced (how transforming your body leads into other areas of your life / the one thing you should stop doing related to your health and fitness
- 01:19 – Show sponsors are introduced (Neuro Coffee)
- 01:36 – Today’s giveaway (A month’s supply of Neuro Coffee!)
- 02:43 – Dr. Mike and Bill talk about Neuro Coffee
- 06:34 – Chris Dominello, Dr. Mike, and Bill continue to discuss Neuro Coffee
- 11:30 – Dr. Mike discusses Bill’s Background
- 18:00 – Dr. Mike and Bill continue their discussion, and discuss Bill’s plan to achieve 5% body fat by age 50.
- 26:00 – Dr. Mike, Bill, and Chris continue their discussion. Small changes and motivation are discussed. Also ice cream and tacos!
- 28:30 – Weight loss and motivation discussion continues, with Chris Dominello’s favorite topic: Pizza!
- 31:30 – Dr. Mike and Bill discuss meditation and morning rituals and the brain.
- 37:00 – The Meditation app Headspace is discussed briefly.
- 39:48 – The question ‘How much weight should I lose?’ is discussed, along with goals and muscle loss during weight loss and behavior directed approach vs. ‘end goal’ thinking.
- 42:04 – Post weight loss goals and a pizza eating contest is discussed.
- 47:30 – Discussion of post weight loss goals continue, also imaginary dessert!
- 47:50 – Dr. Mike asks special guest about what he wishes people would do more of related to health and fitness, and what he wishes people would do less of.
- 51:02 – Dr. Mike and Bill discuss IFAST University and wrap up their discussion.
Thank you for listening! Please rate and review on iTunes. Post any questions or comments below. We love to hear your feedback!!