Welcome to Episode 5 of the Dr. Mike Show. Today, I am joined by special guest, Dr. Heather Leidy.
Heather J. Leidy, PhD is an Associate Professor and Director of the NIH-supported Clinical Research Center in the Department of Nutrition Science at Purdue University. Dr. Leidy received her MS and PhD in Physiology at Penn State University and completed a Post-doctoral fellowship in the Department of Nutrition Science and the Ingestive Behavior Research Center at Purdue University. Dr. Leidy’s research examines the effects of protein quantity and timing of consumption on the physiological (i.e., energy-sensing) and hedonic (i.e., reward-driven) signals that modulate appetite, satiety, food cravings and food choice. Her most recent work focuses on the importance of consuming a high-protein breakfast for satiety, glycemic control, and weight management in overweight young people who habitually skip breakfast.
A colleague and friend of mine for several years now, Heather is also a strongman competitor. For those of you who have read the MetaShred Diet book, I reference a fair amount of Heather’s research.
In This Episode We’ll Discuss
- Protein and the lies that people tell about protein
- What it takes to be a research scientist and a strong man competitor
- Satiety, hunger, fullness, and appetite
- Protein shakes
- Post-workout protein
- Breakfast: skipping vs. conventional vs. high protein
- Dr. Leidy’s current research and training schedule
You can also listen on:
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Cerevan
Unlock Your Brain’s Power With Cerevan – Improve Multi-Tasking & Brain Health
– Improves Attention & Concentration
– Increases Cognitive Function
– Boosts Short Term Memory and Multi-tasking
– Contains Powerful, Natural Antioxidants (Not a Stimulant)
Finally a Brain Supplement With Science You Can Trust.
Cerevan has a research and development track record and background that is unmatched in the brain supplement industry. With 3 published research studies (and 2 more recently completed), more than $4 Million in research and development, and almost a decade in development, the proprietary and patented ingredients found in Cerevan set the new standard for scientific rigor. Visit Cerevan.com for more information!
EPISODE 005 – LINKS FROM THE SHOW:
EPISODE 005 – SHOW NOTES:
- 00:00 – Welcome to the show. Dr. Mike says hello, and introduces special guest Heather Leidy, PhD. Today’s topics: protein, feeling full, the lies that people tell about protein, and what it takes to be a research scientist and a strong man competitor
- 00:30 – Introduction to the show, Co-Host Chris Dominello is snowed in 🙁
- 01:45 – Today’s sponsor (Cerevan) is introduced. Heather’s bio and background is discussed
- 04:00 – Heather and Dr. Mike continue chatting about Heather’s background, including the Strongman competition
- 05:35 – Heather goes into her background and discusses her first clinical study
- 10:15 – Dr. Mike has questions for Heather about protein
- 13:00 – Dr. Mike and Heather discuss hunger hormones and exercise, weight loss, low vs. higher protein diets
- 19:30 – Dr. Mike and Heather continue their discussion on protein and discuss variety
- 23:00 – Dr. Mike and Heather discuss satiety, hunger, fullness, and appetite
- 27:10 – Heather discusses common misunderstandings about protein
- 31:30 – Even more protein! Heather discusses why she does not do protein shakes
- 34:10 – Post workout protein is discussed
- 37:00 – Heather discusses her current research
- 40:30 – Skipping breakfast / normal breakfast / high protein breakfast are discussed
- 45:40 – Dr. Mike asks guest Heather about her training schedule, how she finds the time as a mother, and more
- 48:40 – Wrap up, Dr. Mike thanks special guest Heather for being a part of the show
Thank you for listening! Please rate and review on iTunes. Post any questions or comments below. We love to hear your feedback!!