Welcome to the inaugural episode of the Dr. Mike Show. I’m joined by my co-host Chris Dominello for a Key Topic/Q&A episode. The key topic we discuss is the Hierarchy of Carbohydrates. I then answer reader questions about breakfast, protein powder for kids, and using protein powder to build more muscle.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- How to use the Hierarchy of Carbohydrates to simplify what carbs you prioritize in your diet and how much of them you should consume.
- How to put together fast protein-packed breakfasts.
- If protein powder is safe for kids to use.
- If protein supplements will help you build muscle after your workouts.
You can also listen on:
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Neuro Coffee (TM)
Neuro Coffee (TM) is a high octane brain supplement infused into great coffee. It contains a patented extract from the coffee fruit, which has been clinically shown to increase levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) after taking. BDNF acts to grow and repair neurons in the brain and the body. As we age, BDNF decreases. Age related diseases of the brain (e.g. age related memory loss) are often associated with low levels of BDNF. Aging in general, stress, and lack of sleep also negatively impact BDNF.
Coffee drinkers never miss their morning cup of coffee, and now with Neuro Coffee (TM) you can enjoy that morning ritual even more knowing that it is helping your brain health. Neuro Coffee (TM) is roasted in small batches. Click here to start getting your monthly supply of Neuro Coffee. Dr. Mike Show listeners can use the coupon code DRMIKE10 to save 10% on their first order.
KEY TOPIC – HIERARCHY OF CARBOHYDRATES
This simple hierarchy is based on the fact that since not all carbs are created equal, there is a spectrum in which you can restrict them. Foods at the top of the list are more carb- and calorie-dense while containing fewer nutrients. As you move down the list, foods become less carb- and calorie-dense while containing more nutrients—these are the foods you want to pile on your plate.
EPISODE 001 – LINKS FROM THE SHOW:
- Neuro Coffee – coupon code: DRMIKE10
- The Gray Zone of Nutrition
- Dr. Mike Ultimate Book of Smoothies
- Fearless Feeding (Jill Castle, Maryann Jacobsen)
- Quick Breakfast Recipes
- Microwave Eggs
- Cold Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe
- Metabolic Drive from Biotest
- Muscle Matrix from NutraBio
- Modern Protein from USPlabs
- Whey protein before and during resistance exercise has no effect on muscle mass and strength in untrained young adults. (Weisgarber KD1, Candow DG, Vogt ES.)
EPISODE 001 – SHOW NOTES:
- How Dr. Mike and Chris met [00:07:16]
- Chris’ background [00:10:47]
- Concept of the Hierarchy of Carbohydrates [00:14:25]
- Easy way to get vegetables and fruits in your diet [00:18:46]
- Tips on how to feed kids vegetables [00:24:05]
- Q&A: Quick, easy, and healthy breakfast options [00:26:34]
- Q&A: Is protein powder safe for kids? [00:34:26]
- Q&A: Are supplements a good choice for protein intake? [00:37:05]
Thank you for listening! Please rate and review on iTunes. Post any questions or comments below. We love to hear your feedback!!