Losing weight has become synonymous with being healthy, and decades of diet and fitness trends as well as weight loss programs support this idea. The general idea a lot of programs and websites tell you is you only need to increase your metabolism to lose weight. It sounds about right until you realize we have a lot of people who go on all these crazy weight loss programs, lose a ton of weight, only to have it all come back a few years later.
Does our metabolism tank after losing weight, or is it just a myth?
In this episode, I share the findings of a recently published study about the effects of weight loss on our metabolism. I discuss the reasons why drastic weight loss leads not just to weight rebounds, but also hormonal repercussions. I describe the case of another study involving participants of a popular weight loss show and its mind-blowing findings. I also provide some tips on how you can lose and maintain weight without any metabolic consequences.
“How you choose your behaviors is going to impact how your metabolism changes.” – Mike Roussell
This week on the Dr. Mike Show:
- Our resting metabolic rate and how it affects energy expenditure.
- How weight loss changes our metabolic rate.
- Adaptive Thermogenesis and why it makes weight loss efforts difficult.
- What a 2016 Biggest Loser study tells us about the effects of drastic weight loss on our body composition.
- How you can prevent your metabolism from slowing down after weight loss.
- The importance of knowing the type of study done to understand the research.
- Why body composition should not be glossed over when it comes to weight loss studies.
- EP008 – MetaShred Diet Deep Dive Part 1: Goals and Diet Philosophy
- Study: No consistent evidence of a disproportionately low resting energy expenditure in long-term successful weight-loss maintainers
- Study: Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after The Biggest Loser competition
The Dr. Mike Show is Brought to You by Neuro Coffee
Neuro Coffee is a high octane brain supplement infused into great coffee.
It contains a patented extract from the coffee fruit, which has been clinically shown to increase levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) after taking. BDNF acts to grow and repair neurons in the brain and the body. As we age, BDNF decreases. Age-related diseases of the brain (e.g. age-related memory loss) are often associated with low levels of BDNF. Aging in general, stress, and lack of sleep also negatively impact BDNF.
Coffee drinkers never miss their morning cup of coffee, and now with Neuro Coffee, you can enjoy that morning ritual, even more, knowing that it is helping your brain health. Neuro Coffee is roasted in small batches. Click here to start getting your monthly supply of Neuro Coffee. Dr. Mike Show listeners can use the coupon code DRMIKE10 to save 10% on their first order.
Love the show? Let us know!
Thanks for tuning into the Dr. Mike Show! If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to iTunes to leave us a rate and review. Subscribe to the show so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes on social media.
Be sure grab your copy of the book Men’s Health The MetaShred Diet: Your 29-Day Rapid Fat-Loss Plan. Simple. Effective. Amazing. join the LeanOS fitness coaching program, or visit our website for even more tips and strategies to quickly and effectively lose weight while optimizing your health, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!